Sunday, October 25, 2009

Why do oranges make my toddler hperactive?

If my 23 month old has eith er pure orange juice or fresh oranges, she gets very unsettled, fussy, cries a lot, races around, and if tired, is unable to get to sleep. Bizarrely, artificial orange colour, orange squash etc does not seem to affect her.Obviously we now avoid oranges! But I wondered what the mechanism behind this is. My nephew is the same, and a niece also reacts to a lesser extent.
Answer:
I personally don't feel it is from the sugar. Contrary to belief sugar does not cause hyper behavior in children. It could very well be the acid on the oranges are upsetting her tummy. The unsettleness, fussing, crying is a huge sign of that. She also may have an allergic reaction to oranges or a food intoleranace. I would just stay clear of oranges for now.
Because they have sugar and he is probably allergic to sugar and anything that has sugar such as fruit , candy, sugary juices etc.
Check it out, what closely you might have to omit or monitor all sugar in everything he/she eats.
Good Luck
They are full of sugar, natural I will grant you, but sugar none the less. In addition, they are full of citric acid so it's a double whammy. I can't eat them and my daughter couldn't have them unless she was going out to play. Hope this helps!
Orange juice is very high on the glycemic index. Your child is getting a sugar high from consuming it. Orange color contains no nutrition. Orange squash contains very little sugar.
my nephew gets totally hyperactive if he has oranges and my eldest used to wet the bed if shed had some during the day. so dont worry just dont let her have any there is plenty of other healthy foods and juices for her to get vitamins etc from.
Sugar ! There is an old "Throw back" candy store left over from the 1950's near my house, it is the last of a dying breed (toys, models, stationary, candy, newspapers cigaretts, etc), I bring my 4 year old "Little Man" in there a few times a week as I know the owner, sometimes he gets a bit crazy running around the store, (usually when I am talking to the owner), Then we are like "OH man, did he get into candy", then we look around the store for a candy wrapper, usually followed by "Here it is, he got a "Milky way", as he runs around the counter in a circle multiple times, I never get charged for the candy bar, my friend says "it's worth the price, to watch the show", he goes "whacky" from candy (sugar), so did I as a kid, I guess the apple doesn't fall far from the tree !
Allergy or sugar cotent

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

vc .net