Sunday, October 25, 2009

Why do people so often suppose that people with cerebral palsy (and related disorders) are mentally deficient?

Is there any serious statistical evidence to suggest that people with CP are more frequently mentally deficient than the general population? And why is it that, in many people's perception, lack of motor control seems to imply lack of intelligence? In my opinion (as an university educated person with CP), these two things (intelligence and motor skill) are often equated for no valid reasons, leading to many funny and sometimes sad situations..
Answer:
We are molded from childbirth, told the ways in which people are "supposed" to look, act, talk, smile...etc. When a person is different than the "standards" we have been taught to apply then it is easy to stick labels on those that are "different". In all actuality 40-50%* of those with CP have intellegence within normal limits. This is actually (in my opinion) one of the worst things a person with CP has to endure. To be trapt in a body that people treat as though it were mentally challenged. In my experience working with children who have CP, I have seen the emotional hardship that they suffer as they watch the people around them. Horrible stares, medical staff talking about their condition in front of them like they are unable to understand what they are saying. I am sorry that you have to experience such ugliness in the world. I hope however that you know that you are a wonderful person and the only opinion of you that matters is the opinion you have of yourself.
lack of understand about the disease
Some people are just to plain stupid.
Most definetly ignorance...human nature dictates that it's easier to think the negative thoughts because there isn't much thought to jumping to an incorrect conclusion, then dismissing it. When we are interested in why anyone is the way they are, it requires more action...perhaps research, then hopefully acceptance. I think alot of people just don't know any better.
It's a combination of many things:Mainly; it's the lack of education. Most people are anxious to learn; learn all they can about the functioning of the human being but some aren't. If not; harsh hurtful incorrect assumptions are sometimes made %26 worse yet verbalized.Behaviors of others seen in their childhood years. Example: A parent explaining to a child "They ain't right" (over heard while shopping not too many years ago). More currently Mommies saying don't point, don't look at them, don't stare, etc (at anybody less than "normal"). I hope "they didn't mean crazy, stupid or retarded as my brother was called for many years. He was brain injured at birth %26 didn't exactly look, talk or act like most kids.The neighborhood kids wouldn't play with me because I had "Cooties". They said he was crazy %26 it was catching. This cruel name calling left my brother %26 I puzzled as to what was really wrong with us. Both of us have been lifetime loners. Varying degrees of social phobias still hang with us today. My brother now 60; wouldn't apply for food stamps or disability saying "I would have to tell them I'm crazy %26 I've been called names all my life. All I wanted is a job".I must apologize for getting carried away. Lemonade Lady
Because most people judge other people on "normal" one can act, not on how "normal" one can think.I agree so much with you. In this sick/sad world, a lot of discrimination had happened for petty/pathetic reasons, and having CP is one of this. I think this mentality is cultivated during childhood, when a kid feels superior when he/she points out the weaknesses of others to the point of bullying the "weaklings". In my opinion, people who think like this wanted to point out that they're normal, and will definitely have that inkling that normal people are better than CP people. And this I never believed because having CP doesn't make you less a person.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

vc .net