Sunday, October 25, 2009

Why do you think there is now a higher incidence of autism than ever before?

I understand the statistics are 1 out of every 166 children, or something astronomical like that. It doesn't seem like it was that high when I was a child (I'm 31 now). What are your hypotheses?
Answer:
The reason is the expansion in the mid 90's of the diagnostic requirements. Many who were previously diagnosed as mentally retarded or schizophrenic or other developmental delays now fall on the autistic spectrum. So there's nothing contributing to this increase other than shuffling of the diagnoses. In fact, there's been a proportional decrease in the above mentioned conditions to the increase in autism. Everyone loves a conspiracy, so vaccines have been blamed...but there isn't any science to back up these claims. It's been tested over and over, and over.
better awareness and people are more aware of it especially medical people and better equipment and science to detect it!!
there is a link between the shots that children get when they are 18 months. It is linked to autism. If you ask your doctor they will say its b/c of the preservatives in the shots and they use preservative free..or something like that. But there is a link between the shot and autism. They will never ever say this is true though. My doctor is the one who told me this and she had me wait on one of my daughters shots until she was older. They will never admit this could you imagine the hysteria.
There has been lots of attention given to the possibility that autism is 'caused' by immunizations that young children get in their regular schedule.I've read studies and studies and I think it more likely that rate increases (if there are rate increases) are caused by the fact that that there is a longer life expectancy, so that autism can be diagnosed and statistics amended.It seems that genetic, delivery, harmful substances taken during pregnancy are potential culprits.
ASD/Asperger's/autism are tested now at a young age. 31 yrs ago, it was practically unknown.
My 5 yr old has ASD. He was diagnosed prior to getting all his shots and I had an easy, uncomplicated pregnancy. Even though it is not proven, I think it is more genetic. while researching, my husband noticed a lot of autistic characteristics in himself when he was a child.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

vc .net